Friday, October 10, 2008

share the love



THIS is my love.
Not to be confused with Mr. W.

Meet 15-bean soup.



High in protein.



High in fiber.



Low cost.



Tasty.



Easy to make.



Here's how you do it.



Go to the store.



Buy a bag of 15-bean soup. (That's really what it's called!)



It's in the dried bean aisle. Next to the split peas and lentils.


It looks something like this:

Follow directions on the back of the bag.


Use whatever left-over meat you have hanging around.


This time I used sweet italian sausage.


When I've followed the recipe on the bag,


and about an hour before serving,


I add in whatever 'fresh' things I have around


just to give it more 'body.'


This time it was some purple cabbage and sliced zucchini.


YUM.
and
If there are way too many lovin' spoonfuls for YOU,


share the love.


And by the way...


because this is a BEAN dish,


you'll be sharing the love anyway.


whether you want to or not.

11 comments:

LL said...

you're FUNNY!
I'll have to give it a try. Can't say that I'll ever find purple cabbage hanging around my house, but I could think of something.
thanks for sharing. we should put it on muckamuck :)

shirlgirl said...

Between the beans and the cabbage,
there will be lots of music--add pineapple and you have Hawaiian music!! I've never seen that in the stores but will check. We put together seven different beans plus a flavor packet and placed in quart jars and sold them at the church fair with the recipe. Unfortuntely I don't have that recipe anymore, but it was mighty tasty.

Jo Jo said...

Uncle Ben said it was mighty tasty, so two thumbs up on beans! Amy Jo

Jane said...

Still waiting for it to be soup weather here...sigh, but once it cools down I am going to have to try it for sure! My kids love soup actually. I am sure this will be a hit.

ChefTom said...

Ham or pulled pork would work well in that dish.

Also try and add some apple slices in their, it will add a new layer and some depth to the dish.

Michael Stokes said...

What I take from this is Roger is full of beans; correct?

Becky said...

can we recruit you to Muck a Muck? You just have to come up with a cool name.:) I promise to make this soup - after all, my children can NEVER get enough SOUP! (ya right)

Sarah said...

...LL... NO purple cabbage? You certainly have strange items hanging around your purse. But I wouldn't advise that any of THOSE go into the soup.
Aunt Shirley--I'm going to have to try some of that soup Hawaiian style next time!
And YUM to the pulled pork and apples! This soup could be a national fad!
Beckybonbon... no muckamuck authorship for me--I go there for inspiration! Not perspiration. Don't need another thing to feel responsible for, if you get my drift. Thanks for the invite, though. And besides, there are only three cooking women in that beautiful black and white picture!

Unknown said...

Oh SHOOT! That was me up there--commenting under my daughter's alias. Sorry. We often share the bench in front of the computer screen--she's as hooked on this stuff as I am!

ellen said...

toot toot!!

Joy said...

Jenny made it a couple of weeks ago and even my kids liked it which was amazing