Monday, September 29, 2008

shoot!

It's family picture season!
that time of year when I start to think about capturing the crew on photographic paper.
I'm formulating the plan.
I'm thinking about location.
and like a perfectly timed missile,

my brother,

who is SO good about preserving the past,
sent me some GREAT family pictures yesterday.
as i scrolled through these beauties,
some memories came flooding back.

allow me to tell you about two.
first, we have:
six kids in a trailer.
i remember it being VERY hot.
i also remember having to wait FOREVER
to have our turn in front of that camera.
it had to be one of those traveling photo deals
at your local Sears
where you could get a thousand pictures for 99 cents.
because I also know that my mom was a bargain hunter.
I think there were at least a hundred other families
lined up for this fabulous photo deal day.

To mom, it would be worth the pain.
i remember little twins who were not so happy about
the wait
and the heat,
and we older, suffering siblings
were instructed to hold them
and entertain them
during this eternal wait
in a HOT
cRoWdEd
trailer.
so what do you think?

can you see the sweat?
the toddlers who've had enough?
and who grows out their bangs like that i ask you?!

Mom. it was worth every cent.
i love this picture.


So here's the next winner.
this one i do NOT remember.
I'm thinking the trauma of remembering this day
must have been too much.
Look at the expressions.
Look at the eyes.

I'm pretty sure we were two shots away from

hypnosis.
love the hair-dos.
this one's a keeper.
Aaron, you get the Mr. Morning look-alike award.
and a ribbon for that fabulous leisure suit.
(and I'm just laughing about that dropped jaw--what was that photographer doing?!)

8 comments:

Aaron H. said...

i DO look like Mr. Morning. who knew?

and as for that second photo, you should see the original. i had to crop it down a little to eliminate the carpeted box that either dad is sitting on or amy is standing on, and the box i'm on! what kind of a photog was this?

amateur hour at olan mills....

Smilin' sunshine said...

I love them! I love photos from the past!

ChefTom said...

We all have them, and you are too kind for actually sharing them, I am keeping mine hidden in a very safe place. It is better that way, at least for a few hundred more years.

Jo Jo said...

I so love the bowl cuts - don't remember this one either, except why my hair is on the short side. That was the free haircut day and Dorothy Hammil hair was in, which I got, and you got the Farrah Fawcett cut. Amy Jo

LL said...

i'm LAUGHING so hard right now. LOVE those pictures, so so good!
THIS is why I take loads of pictures, they're always good to have.
You want me to take your family photo, don't you ?!?!? :)
I promise not to make your jaws drop OR make you stand on carpeted boxes.
GREAT POST, love the good ol' days

shirlgirl said...

Love the pictures. Aaron sent some to me as well. I thought that the one of you and Amy Jo holding the twins was priceless, and Becky now looks alot like Amy Jo did then. Loved the hairdos, too!

Anonymous said...

The first one was so color coordinated....what's up with that?
I made Aaron's tee. I was into that.
The 2nd makes me laugh. We look like the Adams' family...too spooky. Great for Oct 31st.
mom

Becky said...

don't remember either one...the second is making me laugh (outloud at the library) wondering what the heck was going on behind the scenes.