Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Looking for Lift

I planned to devote today solely to sewing.  And making sure I had a shower and brushed my teeth, and the 63 other daily things that need doing, but my brand-y new copy of Lift came in the mail today, so I read, instead. 
I'm not a Kelly Corrigan follower, nor did I read her memoir The Middle Place.  I might check it out from the library at some point now, though, as I really enjoyed reading this book.  I found the recommendation for Lift at Basic Joy, which is a blog that I like visiting.  Kelly writes to her two young daughers, which is a format that appealed to me 

"My default answer to everything is no.  As soon as I hear the inflection of inquiry in your voice, the word no forms in my mind, sometimes accompanied by reason, often not.  Can I open the mail?  No.  Can I wear your necklace?  No.  When is dinner?  No.  What you probably wouldn't believe is how much I want to say yes."

I think, as a mother, much of what she writes about connects with my experience.  I also think, however, that if you have any sort of connection whatever with ANY mother, you might enjoy Lift.  Which is to say, of course, that life originates with motherhood, therefore we all have an intimate link right from the start  Daughters?  Yes.  Sisters?  Yes.  Aunts?  Yes.  Husbands, brothers, fathers and hang-gliders?  You should try it.    As a last-minute bonus, I throw-in the page count:  82.  And there are pictures.  Maybe this will be the go-to gift for Mother's Day this year.  I got my copy early.

8 comments:

LL said...

sounds like a GOOD one!!!

ellen said...

Can I borrow your copy of Lift? And I'll loan you my copy of The Middle Place. Pretty please?!?

ellen said...

Can I borrow your copy of Lift? And I'll loan you my copy of The Middle Place. Pretty please?!?

rad6 said...

so did you read it in one sitting? I love books like that. You cn take on a weekend get away and not be starting a month long project.
That sounds like my kind of book.

Aaron H. said...

i like the quoted passage.

Becky said...

I would love to borrow it next. Please and thank you.

Janssen said...

I really loved "The Middle Place" despite a fair amount of swearing.

Whitney said...

Ok -- I have a book for you now. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Finished today and I LOVED!