Thursday, March 18, 2010

Be counted

All the hoopla preceding the arrival of our 2010 Census form has been palpable.
They've been talking about it in the schools, on the radio, and on the TV.
Yesterday, the eagerly awaited envelope arrived in our mailbox.
Rooney spotted it on the kitchen table, and excitedly whispered
"Can I open it, Mom?"
"Sure" was my reply.
Then the elated dance with full body sway of
"I got to open the envelope that comes only ONCE every TEN years!"
went spiraling around the house,
followed by the audio version of the message from the Director of the U.S. Census Bureau. 
Then an audible sigh when she got to the part that reads
"Do not count anyone living away either at collge or in the Armed Forces."
Yonder will not count in 2010.  Sad!
Dear Yonder:
In OUR records you still count.
xo

6 comments:

Becky said...

Didn't know that. Yonder still COUNTS in MY book too. :) We miss him.

LL said...

how do you think that makes Yonder feel? Poor guy.
Ours are still sitting on the pile of unopened mail. I need to get on that! I wonder if "Kristen" will count?

Sherry said...

I am so dang excited about the census. This may make me the biggest geek alive. But it's my first one to fill out! And I'm thrilled by the idea that I will be leaving a record for my posterity to see.

Jo Jo said...

We got ours today! How sad R doesn't count! I didn't know that :-(

shirlgirl said...

Gee, do they have to know that R is away at college? I'd count him in, but I suppose they need the info for those living in the house on April 1st.

Anonymous said...

If you don't count Yonder, who will? I say count him anyway. Consider him someone who doesn't have a permanent place to stay.