Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Veggie Man!

What do you do before a trip?
I busy myself thinking about all of the things that are NOT in order, before we go. ALAS! I've remembered the garden... our 12'x20' little plot of veggies.
So I hurry outside to check the harvest, and much to my surprise, the cucumbers are breeding like rabbits! 16 of those guys ready for the harvest... not to mention the green beans, a red pepper and some tomatoes. Yowza! We've struck GREEN!
I should be so pleased!
I notice the 18 broccoli plants are just days away from being ready for picking... Does this happen to YOU?
You eagerly anticipate the fruits of your labor, and the fruits all decide to ripen and be ready while you're ON VACATION.
Kids, we're having cucumbers for lunch, and whatever you don't eat, we're packing in your carry-ons for mid-flight munchies.
As for the broccoli, we're going to hope that it stays put until we get back.
Anyone want a cucumber?

2 comments:

smart mama said...

yes! (OUR GARDEN IS VERY SAD AND SMALL) but we leavetomorrow and our first purple pepper- is just a few days shy of harvest- hopefully the tomatoes will hold in and thgiant sunflower too-

Love the picture!

Christy said...

I love it! The garden is our excitement to check every day. Cold cucumber soup is very nice for the adventurous ( I think it can be frozen). I've also found that kids eat veggis the BEST standing right in front of the garden, ready set EAT!
have fun on the trip, sounds amazing.