Sunday, September 9, 2012

Dynamic Duo

"Perhaps the greatest reason for missionary work is to give the world its chance to hear and accept the gospel."
-Spencer W. Kimball
Last week I connected with my dear friend Cynthia in Utah, who happens to know this other missionary (Elder Clarke) and his family really well--they're neighbors and attend church together.  She shared a letter that Elder Clarke had sent his parents about being assigned to serve with Yonder.  Here's a portion:

"So,... I recieved my new comp!! I don´t know if you guys remember me mentioning an Elder Whitcomb (picture is attached) a few weeks back?? My old zone leader from Boston, who´s friends with the Parsons family? Well, HE is my new companion. Am I the luckiest elder in the world or what?? Elder Whitcomb is going home October 4 - he currently has 23 months in the mission... I feel so blessed to be able to learn from him...  Elder Whitcomb is known by many as the best missionary in the whole mission. He previously shared a house with the assistants in the heart of the city, and is coming from one of the strongest wards in all of the country. The Lord has blessed me so greatly to have him as a companion - I´ve already learned so much! And I´m so excited to be able to learn all his tips and tricks. Pres. told us he was excited to send two good elders to this tough area - I know together, we can see miracles."
-Elder Clarke

These two are happy together!  And they're doing all they can to make sure their part of the world is given its chance.
SO... update on 9/11/2012:
Got a letter today and this is what it says:

"Mom!
  That´s not Elder Clarke on your blog!!!! (Thats Elder Nielsen...) Thats ok ;) "
I'm laughing.
What else can I do?!?
:)

5 comments:

LL said...

What more could you ask for...wow!

Becky said...

How proud your mother heart must be.

Jo Jo said...

Okay I'm crying. What a treasure to have these words shared with you. That's my favorite thing in the whole world right now...words from other people about my missing son. And we already know he's the best.

shirlgirl said...

Awesome! Your chest must be burstinig with pride. Looking forward to seeing Yonder on the 4th of October.

Hildie said...

I didn't even know you had a son old enough to go on a mission!