Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wonder Struck

 Although I believe this is my first blog post in 2012 about a book I have read, I will assure you that it's not the only book under my belt for this year.  I carried this book with me to the Orthodontist a few days ago, and he asked me what I was reading.
I believe he was struck more by the impressive size of the book than anything else; it is a hefty lug.
(We had a brief and enjoyable conversation about reading, and before I left the office he gifted me his own personal copy of Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth when he found out I hadn't read his favorite book.)  
I reserved Wonder Struck from the library for Leelie. She and Rooney and I really enjoyed reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret by the same author. I think we also agree that Hugo Cabret was better. Only by a slight margin--both are great. Selznick's books are not really picture books, not quite novels, not  flip books, not exactly graphic novels... more like a delightful combination of all of those styles. They're BIG, but they read really fast, because you're constantly turning the pages of beautiful artwork interspersed with pages of text eager to find out what happens next. I like a quick, enjoyable read.  Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck is both.

3 comments:

Janssen said...

I really liked this too! But yes, Hugo was better.

Michael Stokes said...

The pillar's trilogy is great. Ken follet is one of the best writers of our time.

I agree with the pain dude, What! you haven't read Pillar's!

Jo Jo said...

Go rent the Hugo movie from a redbox...it was really neat to see on screen.