Thursday, November 24, 2011

perspective

On Thanksgiving,
I am GRATEFUL for perspective.
I was visiting a friend in the hospital last week.
While she was downstairs having a procedure, I visited with her very nice roommate Rosemarie from Connecticut who was in the hospital for a debilitating muscular condition.
Hard.
Rosemarie admitted to me that she was feeling discouraged to the point that she was having what she called a personal pity party.  Then she met her new neighbor, (my friend) who had been moved down from the ICU that day.  Rosemarie observed all of the comings and goings, and learned her roomie's story.
It's harder.
WAY harder.
Rosemarie told me she did an about face and instantly felt grateful for her hard challenge.
She didn't like the hand that had been dealt to her, but she couldn't change it.
What she could change, though, was the way she looked at the cards.
Amazing what a little perspective can do.

Mary Engelbreight said
If you don’t like something change it;
if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.

After my hospital visit, I stopped by my parents' house.
I found my dad asleep on the couch.
It was after lunch time, and I was surprised to see him in his pajamas.
Turns out he had been up a good part of the night with some discomfort.
I felt bad.
Him?
He felt good about being able to nap in his PJs in the middle of the afternoon.
Perspective.
Finally, I am thankful for this thought on perspective:

"In the meantime, be thankful for all the small successes in your home, your family relationships, your education and livelihood, your Church participation and personal improvement. Like the forget-me-nots, these successes may seem tiny to you and they may go unnoticed by others, but God notices them and they are not small to Him. If you consider success to be only the most perfect rose or dazzling orchid, you may miss some of life’s sweetest experiences."
-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

When I finished making my key lime pie yesterday, it looked more like a whole pile of ranch dip in a graham cracker crust.  Not yummy.  I'm sure it will taste much better.  If no one chooses it today at the big feast?  More for me to take home.  Breakfast dessert!  Perspective.
There are many, many small successes in my life.
They bring me great joy when I stop to recognize them.
My Thanksgiving challenge to you:
Count Your Blessings.
(and if you have time, read this fantastic article)

Happy, HAPPY Thanksgiving!
Give thanks.
Do some giving.

XO

2 comments:

Becky said...

Great post Jen...perspective it my FAVORITE word. EVER. And by the way, your pie was the first to disappear. It was DELISH! xo

Jenny Marie Hatch said...

Love that quote by Elder Uchdorf, thanks for the reminder...