Friday, July 31, 2009

Quite possibly my new BFF:

The Swedish Princess found me making from-scratch brownies in the kitchen, and she gasped. (I know!) It was an exciting moment. She said it must have been at least three months since I'd made an actual home-made dessert (please). And then she said "usually it's just like go get some ice cream" (as if that were ever a problem). I found the inspiration for my need to bake here. Except, seriously, when I read the part of the recipe that said "Let stand overnight before cutting & serving " I did an about-face, and decided that part HAD to go. I guess that puts me in the instant gratification column, at least when it comes to chocolate. And desserts. And chocolate desserts. SO. I modified the recipe just a tad, and skipped a step (or two). And you have to know that I get a bit enthusiastic when it comes to my Dutch baking cocoa; so dark and rich. The recipe calls for 1/3 cup. Here's my version of that:

Yes. Make that a heaping 1/2 cup. For both the brownie part, and also the frosting part. There's no going back. (and if any of you know why, in my rush to capture the moment, my kitchen turns my pictures a yellow-ish hue, feel free to elaborate. The flash turns everything a shocking and stark white)

The recipe:

Cream together:

1/2 pound margerine (two sticks)

2 cups sugar

1/3 cup baking cocoa (read: 1/2 heaping cup)

add four eggs, beating well after each.

Mix in

1-1/2 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

Spread on a greased jelly roll pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Cool. (until you can't stand the wait)

then FROST with this:

(cream:)

1 stick margerine

1/3 cup cocoa (please.)

5 cups powdered sugar

4-5 TBSP milk

9 comments:

Jo Jo said...

You're very funny. I wanted to be your BFF. Seriously. And Jen, don't use margarine. Butter. You're my twin! Cute Abbey. Bet my boys enjoyed those. Thanks for not saving them.

Jeannette said...

Lets see if I can help...you will need to change your white balance on your camera, if you have that setting that is. Since your more than likely shooting in incandescent lighting, you would choose that option. Low wattage incandescent lighting gives off that yellowish tint to pictures, so you need to adjust your camera's white balance setting so that it offsets it. Otherwise you could put a cooling filter on it in photoshop, if you cared that much about the picture. Hope that helps!
Those brownies look delicious:)

Unknown said...

Your version looks dekicious too. I took a plate of the original version with marshmallow on it to the Wrcester Ward Reunion, up at Joe Ence's house tonight. Let me just say, there isn't a crumb left to munch on the drive back to Phoenix tomorrow.

Jane said...

How funny...I just got a new recipe from my DIL that I have been craving since she made them for us last week. I will have to try yours and compare.

Loved your modifications to your recipe.

shirlgirl said...

I thought the brownies were blonde brownies as they didn't look like they had any chocolate in them. I agree with Amy Jo--use butter instead of margarine. If you are using all those wonderful ingredients, they should be complemented by the butter. I'll bet there's nothing left in the pan!

Michael Stokes said...

I believe one of your home teachers have rubbed off on you.

LL said...

must try!
thanks for the recipe!!!

Unknown said...

I wasn't in MA, I wouldn't come and not at least call. The Reunion was at Joe Ence's house in Bountiful, Ut. Tons of people who have migrated west were there. It was great fun.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

When margarine and butter are measured in "pounds" it sounds like so much MORE.