Wednesday, April 1, 2009

All in a day

This morning over a nice breakfast (I actually try to do that part every day...)
I told my kids that I would need to be picking them up early, and asked what class they would be in during the last period of the day.
Because their pediatrician has set up a meningitis clinic this afternoon, and I would very much like for my children not to have to get this awful disease.
I explained that it was sort of like the flu, only worse, and that getting the disease was potentially fatal, so it was a really good idea to take advantage of the clinic.
I saved for last, that it was a three-part immunization, and that they'd have to get it in their spine, but it would only make them a little sore.
Oh my... you can imagine the enthusiasm with which this was met.
Especially the ones who were receiving this news pre-early morning seminary.
Then I couldn't compose myself any longer, and I happily shouted:
APRIL FOOLS!
Good times with mom.

11 comments:

Jo Jo said...

Oh, you strung me along really well. You always have the best idea for today. My favorite is the check out clerk thinking she had something on her face.

Becky said...

you ROCK! Knew you couldn't pass up an opportunity! I'm laughing....

shirlgirl said...

I can just imagine the looks on their faces--you had me going, that's for sure. Guess I'd better watch out for those jokers today. And I am sure they were happy that it was an April Fool's joke. Wonder what brother A will pull today.

Jane said...

That is great!! I bet they were amused too.

ellen said...

Hilarious!

Joy said...

Had me going mainly because I have had meningitis not fun not that I remember...sure glad that it was just an April Fools no one likes shots!

Courtney said...

You had me! Even though I've already read about some of the other April Fool's day jokes other bloggers are doing. My back stiffened up and everything.

goddessdivine said...

I totally would have believed you. I was like "You can get a shot for that.....in the spine?" Yeah, shows how much I know about that stuff.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I love it. My science girl self was thinking "There is no vaccination for meningitis! This is just shocking!" You got me too.

nanci said...

Wow! What a trick to play on your kids! I thought you were serious until I read that it's a 3 part immunization. I know that's not true. There is a meningitis vaccine but it's given once, in the arm not the spine.

Marilyn said...

You fooled me too, I'm thinking, is this a new vacination that I haven't heard about? The Elders tried to get me to make a dessert for the sisters with a high dose of salt since they were coming for dinner. I couldn't bring myself to ruin a perfectly good dessert so I fell through. They went to the sisters apt that morning though and put peanut butter on the underside of the car door handles. The sisters got them back though and did a number on their apartment.