Wednesday, February 18, 2009

just so you know

Valentine's Day was especially full of love this year. I know, old news, we've talked about the smackdown, the lovefest and I've posted and more. BUT. I have to report that when Mr. W. walked into the house with one dozen of those long stemmed red-the-price-doubles-at-Valentine's-Day beauties, I almost wilted at the knees. He would do that for me?! It was a dreamy moment. I really do love them. I gaze at them lovingly *sigh* and think about how much he must love me to drop that kind of cash on something that lasts about a week. It's a gallant and noble act to dash in with roses-in-hand; I feel like Lady Catherine...Only now I have to keep moving those lovelies to the kitchen sink where the tops of the flowers peek at me from over the non-romantic location with stainless steel sides. Because devil cats one and two think that red roses are cat delicacies. And whenever I'm not looking, they sneak to where ever I've placed my symbols of swoon, and start nibbling at their apparently velvety goodness. And several times, the vase has been tipped over so that those hairy beasts can show their apparent dominance over all things floral and arbor-like. I have re-named them The Lone Ranger and Tonto, however. Because devil cat one is stealthy and full of prowess, and devil cat two just shows up for the food. So when my brother called me one day and said 'hey Tonto, what's up?' I was immediately offended and told him NEVER to call me Tonto again. And he should look that word up in the spanish dictionary, anyway, before he goes throwing around labels like that at his sister. SO. Just so you know, I don't hate our cats. I'm at high level dislike for them currently, not unlike the Christmas time post on a similar topic. But I still pet them and feed them and shut them in the basement every night. Because I sleep better knowing that my roses will live until morning. And the symbol of love that super spouseman has for his lady will still make me want to croon and sigh at breakfast. And the fact that he would sacrifice his hardware superstore money for those babies is flattery in the highest form. Love that guy.

7 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

Very nice of your husband! Maybe you should lock the cats in the basement until they die!

Jo Jo said...

Anything touches my flowers from spouseman and they're booted out the front door. Nobody messes with my floral beauties!

ChefTom said...

In the killing two birds with one stone category:
He could have taken that money to Home Depot, bought a bush that would offer you your needed swoon for years to come. Every afternoon during the season he could pluck a beauty from the boughs and offer it up to you for all your hard work and sacrifice.

And as far as cats go, they are best stuffed and used as door stops.

Aaron H. said...

Spouseman has brought great shame to family! There is no economic stimulus in roses!

Now go squat, Tonto.

Hee, hee!

Becky said...

shoulda, woulda got the pugs. they stay on the ground and leave my 'symbols of love' untouched. (and they leave symbols of love on the rug - dumb pugs)

shirlgirl said...

Nice of Mr. W to buy his "bride" beautiful roses for Valentine's Day. Did you know that roses are edible? The cats certainly knew that from what you have posted. They are rascals, that's for sure. I never had to worry about my Lily eating any plants of any kind. And now at almost 17, she can't even get up onto a chair, couch, or table. I am lucky. Enjoy your flowers. Loved your post!!

Anonymous said...

Abbey

I as the mother of Sniper (Tonto) will not allow anyone to stuff or boot my cat out the door even though he eats mom's mushy love symbol I love my flaby cat!