Thursday, February 21, 2013

Black and White

Last week I attended one of the best High School Plays in my history of attending High School plays.
Fantastic.
Really.
One of (the many) traditions in our little town that I love is the
Annual Competitive Class Plays.
For almost 50 years now, each class at the High School (with the exception of the Freshmen) put together a dramatic production and work for almost two months to get it stage-worthy. Then we gather for an evening of fun and a panel of judges deliberate and award some really nice prizes.  It's like our own mini Oscars Night. This year the Junior Class took a big risk in performing a play based on an old-time black and white silent movie.  There was no dialogue; only spunky background music, flickering lights and lots of lip reading with accompanying dialogue that would flash on a screen next to the stage.  Phenomenal.
Our own actress Mesquite was the Stage Manager for the production.
She's not a lights and camera kind of gal, unless she's behind them.
She did have to make a brief appearance on stage during the play, so make-up was required.
 Because the play was in black and white, the costumes and make-up were like nothing I've ever seen before.
 But it totally worked!
The cast looked the part... it was really strange; felt almost disjointed to take pictures of them in a colored room.
 By curtain call the audience was in a stunned stupor.
An amazed and impressed stupor.
The cast came away with awards
for Best Supporting Actor
Best Actress
and BEST PLAY!!
All well-deserved awards and a great night of entertainment.

7 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

Oh my gosh! How cool is that?

Annie said...

So creative! I love that idea!

shirlgirl said...

Amazing!

Sherry said...

I am ridiculously impressed by this.

Aaron H. said...

Not gonna lie. The make up is disturbing. But I think I can imagine the effects in a darkened theatre.

Jo Jo said...

You have the BEST school! Hope you video taped it!

Alana said...

wow that is so impressive. I wish I could have seen it. That group shot really does look like a black and white photo with a colored background.