Thursday, September 30, 2010

new Wednesday favorite:

volunteering in the kindergarten lunchroom.

I had my stealthy pocket-cam with me yesterday to capture part of my new favorite assignment.  I love that the kids wave enthusiastically at each other from across the cafeteria--as if they hadn't just seen each other at recess or in the classroom.  I also love that my little guy will wave to me from across the room--every few minutes just to check in and let me know we're still in there together.  A poignant moment from yesterday:  a little girl raised her hand, so I made my way over expecting to open a container or bring a napkin or spoon; instead she looked at me with sad eyes and said "I miss my mommy."  I assured her that her mom was probably thinking about her too, and we chatted for a few minutes about happy things and she went back to her lunch, happily distracted from her sentiment moments before...


30 minutes of Wednesday awesome-ness.

6 comments:

shirlgirl said...

Mr. M looks very content. I'm sure that little girl felt better after you talked to her. It's the caring that gets them through their day.

Smilin' sunshine said...

You are a sweet lady!

ellen said...

Do they make you wear a hair net?!?

LL said...

lunchlady land!
you are the cutest lunch lady, what a fun treat for the kids! Especially that cute blond guy!

Becky said...

I KNEW you couldn't resist somehow being in that school again. But really? Can't say I blame you...that boy is dang CUTE!

Alana said...

Ah, how can you stand it? Your biggest boy and your littlest one leaving at the same time!
On the flip side, I bet watching the little kids is a lot of fun, like playing the piano in primary.