Wednesday, September 29, 2010

for the beauty, indeed.

We morph from summer into fall with the farmer down the road.  We enjoy watching him till the field in the spring, and are excited to see tiny shoots of corn announce their presence as they reach up from the dirt in swirling rows while the school year winds down.  On our drives by in the summer, we measure the length of our freedom by how tall the stalks are growing.  When the tractor starts mowing down the rows of corn in the fall, the pattern of change becomes sure and comforting.  We will watch the Canada geese glean from the remains as October turns to November and we wait, giddy, for the first sign of snow.
 Today is one of those glorious Fall days that makes me wish we could stop time--only briefly--to appreciate in ways sensory and spiritual things that we usually take for granted.
The pumpkins are in the yard--the traffic cones of nature, daring us to slow down and notice them...
*
The clothes are drying on the line--a simple pleasure.
 I found a cucumber trying to be a tomato this morning, as I harvested the tomatoes still hearty and ripening.
The growing season is almost over, but I'm grateful today for the beauty in my yard!

6 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

It is beautiful!

LL said...

I just noticed this morning how everything in the garden is dead and brown but our bright orange pumpkins sitting out there make me so happy!

Cynthia said...

LOVELY!!!

shirlgirl said...

Beautiful pumpkin, flowers, cucumber and tomato. I have two plants on my porch and 6 green tomatoes. Picked the red one Monday. Not sure if the others will ripen or not. My dahlias are gorgeous and keep on budding and flowering. Love flowers. Your zinnias are great!

Jo Jo said...

I loved your orange traffic cone analogy! Beautiful pictures, you're such a great photographer!

Becky said...

I wish that it was YOUR pumpkin sitting there...but I'm thinking yours were demolished by demons? Darn. I'm loving that garden food is STILL growing and it's OCTOBER! Makes me happy. :) Thank you for always being thankful for the simple things.