Friday, April 5, 2013

Favorite Dinner Rolls

These are my go-to dinner rolls.
We eat a LOT of these.
I adapted the recipe from my friend Leslie.
Dinner Rolls
In mixing bowl mix and allow to proof:
5 TBSP yeast
3 cups very warm water
2/3 cup sugar
After five minutes add:
one cup oil
three eggs
one TBSP salt
six cups flour
Mix with the dough hook attachment until smooth.
Add flour, one cup at a time until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  I usually add a total of nine cups, give or take.  Believe it or not, the humidity in the air makes a difference.  On a rainy, humid day I add more flour.
Pour the dough into a large, greased bowl.
Allow to rise until double in size.
Using flour on your hands and on your surface, scrape dough from bowl and knead until smooth and not sticky.  Divide dough into four even balls.  Roll each ball into a circle of dough about 3/8" thick.  Use a pizza cutter to divide the circle into eight evenly-shaped wedges.  Roll each triangle wedge from the biggest end first into a cresent-shaped roll.  Place on greased baking sheet so that the rolls aren't touching.
Allow the rolls to rise until double.
Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned.  Brush with melted butter and allow to cool before serving.

3 comments:

ellen said...

UM, yum. I hope that's butter you're painting on them and not shellack.

Alana said...

I feel a little cheated that I've been using your old recipe this whole time without knowing it! That's ok, I still like it but these look delicious too.

Aaron H. said...

"My go to dinner rolls"?

What's your go to casserole? Your go to salad?

Go to. That makes me chuckle.