Got home late last night, after a really long day.
When we all tromped into the house, I sent the kids out for a stack of wood to stoke up the wood stove, before going to bed.
I loaded it up, and as I shut the door, sparks started shooting over the top of the woodstove.
Short wrap-up: The dispatcher asked me if the noise she was hearing was our smoke alarms. I told her no, that it was the blower on the stove, which has a tendency to rattle. Except as I'm saying it, I realize that Dub fixed the rattle before he left, and come-to-think-of-it, it wasn't the same rattle-y sound. So I shut the blower off, and fwoomp. No more sparks. No more grinding noise. It did take a while to clear the electrical burn-y smell out of the house, but fireplace was safe. And I went to bed thinking I needed to have a better pajama selection, so I could feel presentable in the event of an emergency at night.