Friday, October 18, 2013

we can do hard things

Monday was Columbus Day.
We spent the afternoon together at a place we rambled through... Wyola State Park in beautiful Shutesbury, Massachusetts.
It was a beautiful discovery.
We walked to a picnic area where most of the group ended up perched in trees.
Mesquite wanted to join the fun.
She watched her siblings.
(and felt that she might be tree-climber-challenged)
She tried and tried to get up, but it was HARD.
 She got tired.
 There was lots of encouragement.
(and also some laughter)
 She finally did it. 
She got herself UP and into a tree.
 And EVERYONE was happy.
There were moments yesterday when I witnessed loved ones struggling with hard things:
Meaningful, emotional battles that no one is immune to.
It's good to grasp perspective, and know that struggles are not for naught.  (Did I say that right?)  
I appreciated being able to compare and contrast the events of the day as I found and flipped through the photos of Sweet Mesquite struggling to climb a tree.
With help from people dear to me, I am able to focus on the good that comes from hard things.  To be able to compare and contrast a seemingly trivial event like climbing a tree to more significant issues that are physically and emotionally challenging in every way is a lesson to me:
It takes desire.
It's HARD work.
It helps to know that achieving a state of HAPPY is not impossible.
It helps to know that others have been there before you.
Support is crucial.
It takes a village.
I'm grateful for mine.
I'm especially grateful to know that no matter what, we can be happy.
We can do hard things.

1 comment:

LL said...

We have a big sign in our house that says
WE CAN DO HARD THINGS...
but I can't climb a tree.